Membership: 1969 to present
Life Membership: 2008
Professional & Personal Insight:
Other community roles:
- She served on the Inaugural Committee of Citizens Advice.
- Other community roles include:
the Urewera National Park Board
The Stroke Foundation
Chair National Party electorate
Gisborne Cycle and Walkway Trust
Waikaremoana Boating Association
and currently on the Tawawhiti District Health Board’s Disability Committee.
- In 1978 Muriel was the first, in fact the only, woman to be elected to the Cook Country Council. She held this
position until Local Government Amalgamation in 1989 and was then elected onto the inaugural Gisborne District Council. In total Muriel served 15 years in local Government.
- Muriel also broke into another male dominated domain by becoming one of the early female Paul Harris Fellows as a Rotarian.
Muriel Jones – Her Story:
- As a member of BPW Gisborne:
Joined in 1969
Served a term as President from 1976 – 1978
During her Presidency contributed her organizational skills to convening a highly successful Employment
Seminar in Gisborne.
- As a representative of BPW Gisborne:
Stood on the National Council of Women, taking on the local Presidency as she stepped down from her
Presidency of BPW.