Joan Margaret Bielby QSO JP MPS
BPW Fellow, Past President BPW NZ
Membership: 1967 to present (Founding member)
Committee Member: 1967 to 1968
2nd Vice President: 1968 to 1969
First Vice President: 1969 to 1971
President: 1971 to 1973, 1986 to 1988,
1994 to 1995
Life Member: 1986
Served as a Committee member and treasurer from time to time
Venue Convenor: 2000
BPW NZ Federation
Second Vice President: 1971 to 1973
Member of Constitution Committee: 1971 to 1973
First Vice President: 1973 to 1975
President: 1975 to 1977
Immediate Past President: 1977 to 1981
Chair of Constitution Committee: 1977 to 1981
Trustee BPW NZ: 1980 to 1981
Chair of Sub-Committee to rewrite BPW NZ Constitution: 1990-1991
Life Member BPW NZ: 1992
President’s Associate: 2006- 08
Professional & Personal Insight:
- Born at Waimauku 5th May 1934
- Educated at Royal Oak Primary School, Manukau Intermediate and Epsom Girls Grammar School.
- Married Ron Bielby on 8th February 1958
- An overview of her career:
Served an Apprenticeship in Pharmacy at Mater Misericordiae Hospital, 1952–1957
Qualified as a Pharmacist, 1957
Pharmacist Mater Misericordiae Hospital, 1957-1961
Registered as a Pharmacist. Member of Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand, 1958
Started specialising in a Drug Treatment Programme/ Methadone Dispensing, 1985
Started specialising, with Mercy Hospice, in Palliative Care. Graseby pump syringes, 1990
Associate Member of Royal College of Pharmacists, 1991
Sworn in as a Justice of the Peace of New Zealand 1995
Started specialising in psychiatric care. Clozapine Dispensing, 2000
Sold Elstree Pharmacy Ltd in 2005 and has since been a Locum Pharmacist of which she has assisted at a large number of pharmacy’s around the Auckland area
Involved in numerous community activities in the area around my business and has Supported New Horizons Trust for Women 250 list and sponsored Easter Suburbs ladies Soccer Team 2000-2004
Committee member of Pharmaceutical Society Auckland Branch, 1959
Treasurer Pharmaceutical Society Auckland Branch,1960
Purchased Elstree Pharmacy Ltd, Governing Director, 1961
Member of Pharmacy guild of New Zealand, 1961-2005
Member of Pharmacy Guild Auckland Branch, 1961-2005. Sole woman member for a number of years
Secretary-Treasurer Pharmaceutical Society Auckland Branch, 1961-65. Arranged the first Continuing
Education Lectures for Pharmacists in Auckland
Committee Member Pharmaceutical Society Auckland Branch, 1965-1969
Treasurer Pharmaceutical Society Auckland Branch, 1976-1978
Joan Bielby – Her Story:
- As a member of BPW Tamaki attended the following Conferences and Council meetings:
Attended her First Conference in Gisborne, 1969 as Tamaki Delegate
Council Meeting Wellington, 1970
Tamaki delegate to Palmerston North Conference, 1971
Council Meeting at Timaru, 1972
- As a member of BPW NZ attended the following Conferences and Council meetings
BPW Australia 25th Birthday Celebration as Leader of New Zealand Delegation, 1972
As First Vice President
¨ Councill Meeting Wellington, 1974
¨ Conference Tauranga, 1975
Council Meeting in Blenheim, 1976
Conference Auckland 1977, President
As Immediate Past President:
¨ Council Meeting at Gisborne, 1978 and Wellington, 1980
¨ Conference Masterton, 1979 and Nelson, 1981
Chair of Constitution Committee, 1977-1981 with the responsibility of rewriting the Constitution and for the first time a Finance Policy and researching the policy since the Federation was formed.
ÞIn her capacity as BPW NZ Past President has attended the following conferences:
¨ Council Meetings 1982, 1984, Wairakei 1986, 1988, Waipawa 1990
¨ Conferences in Wellington 1983, Dunedin1985, Christchurch 1987, Jubilee Conference Wellington 1989, Cambridge 1991, Palmerston North 1992, Auckland 1993, Tauranga 1994, Hamilton 1996, Christchurch 1997, Gisborne 1998,
Since 1998 Joan has been Parliamentarian at BPW NZ Conferences including:
¨ Wellington 1999, Whangarei 2000, Dunedin 2001, Taupo 2002, Auckland 2003, Mana Wellington 2004, Kaitaia ( Doubtless Bay) 2005, Tauranga 2006, Invercargill 2007, Hamilton 2008 and will attend Masterton 2009
2001-03 was a member of the Planning Committee for 2003 Conference
- Other positions have included Constitution Chair on several occasions and Resolutions Chair. Joan has attended all except 2 on the Federation Conferences since her first one in 1969. The two missed were Christchurch in 1973, when representing New Zealand at the BPW International Board Meeting in Munich and Greymouth in 1995, when her leg was in plaster.
Joan Margaret Bielby QSO JP MPS
BPWFellow, Past President BPW NZ
Chair of Project’s Committee: 1977 to 1983
Vice President (Not on the Executive): 1980 to 1983
Second Vice President: 1983 to 1985
Membership Chair: 1983 to 1985
Chair of the International Planning Committee: 1983 to 1985
Constitution Chairman: 1985 to 1991
Constitution Committee Chair: 1991 to 1993
Member Resolutions Committee: 1993 to 1996
Member and Vice Chair Constitution Committee: 2005 to 2008
International Recognition/Awards for service:
New Years Honours awarded Queens Service Order: 2008
Life member of SI NZ North Region at 25th Birthday Celebration: 2008
BPW International Badge of Honour Award at Congress Mexico: 2008
Joan Bielby – Her International Story
- Board Meeting in Munich 1973, Leader of the New Zealand delegation.
- Delegate and Deputy Leader of New Zealand Delegation to Congress in Argentina 1974.
- Leader of New Zealand Delegation to Board Meeting in London 1976, which included:
Convenor of Workshops on Equality, Development and Peace
Chair of the Workshop on Peace.
- Leader of New Zealand Delegation to Helsinki Congress 1977.
- In her capacity as Projects Chair attended the Board meeting in Athens 1979, Jubilee Congress in Montreaux 1980.
- Attended the Executive meeting in London 1981 and then the Co-Action meeting at UNESCO Paris. Project 5-0 was originally part of the Co-Action programme.
- Attended the Board Meeting in Hong Kong 1982 as Vice President and Projects Chair.
- Attended BPW International Seminar in Singapore1982.
- Washington Congress Elected Second Vice President 1983.
- 1983-1985 Chair of the International Planning Committee for the Congress in Auckland NZ 1985 (850 attendees).
- Attended the Congress in Auckland 1985 in the positions of Vice President, Membership Chair and Chair of
International Planning Committee.
- In her capacity as Constitution Chair attended the 18th Congress The Hague 1987, 19th Congress Bahamas 1989.
- Chief Parliamentarian 20th Congress in Nairobi Kenya, 1991.
- Attended the Congress in Nagoya Japan 1993, Member of New Zealand Delegation and Constitution Chair.
- In her capacity as Parliamentarian attended the 22nd Congress in Venice Italy 1996, 24th Congress in Melbourne
Australia 2002, 25th Congress in Lucerne Switzerland 2005.
- Attended the 23rd Congress in Vancouver Canada 1999, only one attended in the capacity as an observer.
- Parliamentarian to 26th Congress Mexico 2008 and Convenor of the Constitution Reform Workshop.
- Joan has attended every Board Meeting and Congress since 1973.
- BPW NZ Delegate to Pan Pacific and South East Asian Women’s Conference 1972, helped with the Organisation of the Conference.
- BPW NZ Delegate to the NCW Conference in Auckland 1972 to rewrite the NCW Constitution.
- On Organising Committee for the Second United Women’s Convention 1974 held in Auckland.
- Attend the Third United Women’s Convention Wellington 1975.
- Mid Term Decade for Women’s Conference Copenhagen 1980:
Part of the New Zealand Government Delegation to the Forum for NGO’s
Accredited by BPW International to the Conference.
- Attended International Council of Women Asia Pacific Regional Conference 2004.
Joan joins Soroptimist International (SI)
- Joan was to further extend her services when she was invited to join the SI Auckland in 1980, in 1983 was elected President. Other functions within this organisation have included:
Club Delegate to SI NZ Region North 1984-1988
Treasurer SI NZ Region North 1988-1990
Vice President SI NZ Region North1990-1992
Chairman of the Planning Committee of SISWP Conference Auckland 1992-1994
President SI NZ North 1992-1994
Member SI South West Pacific Constitution Committee 1986-1992
Councillor to SI SWP Council Meeting 1988-1992
Chairman of Constitution Committee SI SWP 1992-1994
Member of SI Constitution Committee 1992-1994
Chairman of SISWP Finance Committee 1994-1996
Member of SI Finance Committee 1994-1996
SI SWP Consultant to SI Board Meeting1993 and 1994
Vice President SISWP 1994-1996
Member of SISWP 20-20 Committee 1994-1998
New Zealand Treasurer for SISWP 1996-1998
Convenor SISWP Constitution Committee 1998-2000
Member of SI Constitution Committee 1999-2002
Convenor SISWP Finance 2000-2002
Member of SI Finance Committee 2001-2005
Joan joins Unifem
- Asked to join the Committee to form a branch of Unifem NZ in Auckland 1992.
- Committee Member Unifem NZ Auckland 1992-1995.
- President Unifem NZ Auckland 1995.
- Member of Unifem NZ Committee 1995-1996.
- Treasurer Unifem NZ Auckland 1996-2004.
Wool for Bosnia
1993-1996 asked to join the Committee to arrange to Collect Wool and send to Refugee Bosnian Women living in refugee camps in Croatia.